CandiacCandiac, Qué, Town, pop 15 947 (2006c), 12 675 (2001c), inc 1957. Candiac lies along the south shore of the ST LAWRENCE RIVER about 15 km south of MONTRÉAL.
The Candiac Development Corporation (now Developpements urbain Candiac), a group of Canadian and European investors, owned utilized farmland in the parishes of Saint-Constant, Delson, Saint-Philippe and the town of LA PRAIRIE. From this land the government of Québec agreed to create the town of Candiac in 1957. Its initial population was 320. The name Candiac was chosen in honour of Lieutenant-General Louis-Joseph de MONTCALM, who was killed during the battle of Québec on the PLAINS OF ABRAHAM. He was born at the Château de Candiac in France.
Development occurred immediately and by 1958 firms began to set up in the town's industrial park. The industrial park is now fully occupied and the construction of a new industrial sector for light industry is under way.
In 1960, 2 groups in neighbouring towns requested annexation. The territory of Candiac nearly doubled in size. Growth was rapid in the 1970s and 1980s as the population more than doubled from 5185 (1971c) to 11 765 (1991c).
Parc de la Promenade stretches along the St Lawrence River. Maison Melançon, a historic building located in the park, is the town's cultural centre and a site for workshops, exhibitions and concerts.