Saint-Charles-BorroméeSaint-Charles-Borromée, Qué, Municipality, pop 12 030 (2006c), 10 668 (2001c), inc 1845. Saint-Charles-Borromée lies on the west bank of Rivière L'Assomption, adjacent to the city of JOLIETTE. It is about 70 km north of Montréal. The municipality was named after St Charles Borromée, who founded the Oblates of the Blessed Virgin, the predecessor to the OBLATES OF IMMACULATE MARY.
Saint-Charles-Borromée was at one time an agricultural village but is now almost totally residential. It is a suburb of Montréal and Joliette. There is no industrial zone, so economic activity is almost exclusively commercial. The hospital is the largest employer. Saint-Charles-Borromée is part of the regional county municipality of Joliette and is the second most important municipality in this agglomeration.
The Maison Antoine-Lacombe, an historic monument built of cut stone in 1847, houses a permanent exhibit and hosts other cultural activities throughout the year. A variety of festivals and activities, such as the Festival Mémoire et Racines, are hosted in Saint-Jean-Bosco Park.