Miramichi, NB, incorporated as a city in 1995, population 17 811 (2011c), 18 129 (2006c). The City of Miramichi is located in northeastern New Brunswick at the mouth of the MIRAMICHI RIVER, one of Canada's most famous salmon rivers. The fourth largest city in the province, it was formed by the amalgamation of the towns of CHATHAM and NEWCASTLE, the villages of DOUGLASTOWN, Loggieville and Nelson-Miramichi, as well as the local service districts of Nordin and Moorefield, a portion of the local service district of Ferry Road-Russellville, and portions of the parishes of Chatham, Glenelg and Nelson.
Amalgamation came as a result of a 1992 provincial study on identifying potential areas for municipal amalgamation and reorganization. A full-scale study of the area was completed in 1993 recommending amalgamation. Long-time rivalries and ethnic and political sensitivities existed in the communities, especially in the towns of Chatham and Newcastle, which often united against outside authority. As a result, there was opposition to amalgamation and demands for a plebiscite. These demands were rejected and the provincial government announced in May 1994 that amalgamation would take place. The new city's administration is centered primarily in the former towns of Newcastle and Chatham.
The city has numerous provincial and federal historic sites and buildings within its boundaries including the Enclosure, a provincial park and the site of a refugee camp for Acadians in 1756; the Marine Hospital in Douglastown; and Middle Island, the site of a quarantine station where Irish immigrants from the Great Potato Famine were buried. Nearby are the Oxbow site and the Augustine burial mound - 2 of the most important native archaeological sites in the province - and MACDONALD FARM HISTORIC SITE. Also not far from the city are the ACADIAN HISTORICAL VILLAGE and KOUCHIBOUGUAC NATIONAL PARK.