HudsonHudson, Qué, Town, pop 5088 (2006c), 4796 (2001c), inc 1969 following the merger of the villages of Como-Est (inc 1918), Hudson (1925) and Hudson-Heights (1877), is located on the south shore of Lac des Deux-Montagnes, opposite OKA, about 60 km west of MONTRÉAL. A commuter train links Hudson to downtown Montréal and a seasonal ferry connects it to Oka. The name was first given to the local post office in 1865 by George Matthews, owner of Canada Glass Works that operated there at the time. He chose it in honour of his wife, Eliza Hudson.
This wealthy residential suburb of Montréal is proud of its stately homes, and its residents also highly value a great variety of sports and cultural activities. The town's economy lacks an industrial base. The last factory, a knitting mill, burnt down in the 1960s, and residents voted against setting up an industrial park in the 1970s.
In the summer, Hudson attracts visitors with historic landmarks such as Greenwood, Jean-Baptiste Sabourin's original homestead (1732) and now a Centre for Living History, and St James Anglican Church (1842) and cemetery. The town is also well known for its boutiques and Finnegan's Open Air Flea Market.