Frank Robert Miller, CC, CBE, engineer, air chief marshal (born 30 April 1908 in Kamloops, BC; died 20 October 1997 in Charlotteville, Virginia). Miller joined the RCAF in 1931 and commanded training schools in the Second World War before proceeding overseas in 1944 as a station commander. He rose to vice-chief of the air staff 1951-54, but left the air force to serve as deputy minister of national defence 1955-60. He became chairman, Chiefs of Staff, 1960-64, and chief of the defence staff 1964-66. As Canada's first COS, he presided over the integration of the three service headquarters and the command organization of the Canadian Armed Forces. Quiet, gracious and known for an ability to cut through to the heart of the matter, Miller was the only man ever to hold both the top permanent civil and military positions in the Department of National Defence. He was appointed a commander of the Order of the British Empire in 1946 and a Companion of the Order of Canada in 1972.
- MLA 8TH EDITION
- Hillmer, Norman. "Frank Robert Miller". The Canadian Encyclopedia, 25 February 2015, Historica Canada. https://thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/frank-robert-miller. Accessed 28 March 2020.
- APA 6TH EDITION
- Hillmer, N., Frank Robert Miller (2015). In The Canadian Encyclopedia. Retrieved from https://thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/frank-robert-miller
- CHICAGO 17TH EDITION
- Hillmer, Norman, "Frank Robert Miller". In The Canadian Encyclopedia. Historica Canada. Article published December 02, 2007; Last Edited February 25, 2015. https://thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/frank-robert-miller
- TURABIAN 8TH EDITION
- Hillmer, Norman. The Canadian Encyclopedia, s.v. "Frank Robert Miller", Last Edited February 25, 2015, https://thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/frank-robert-miller
Frank Robert Miller
|Article by||Norman Hillmer|
|Published Online||December 2, 2007|
|Last Edited||February 25, 2015|
Frank Robert Miller, CC, CBE, engineer, air chief marshal (born 30 April 1908 in Kamloops, BC; died 20 October 1997 in Charlottesville, Virginia ).