University of Guelph
The University of Guelph, in GUELPH, Ontario, was incorporated in 1964. Its history dates back to 1874 when the Ontario School of Agriculture was established on a farm provided by the Ontario government. In 1880 it became the Ontario Agricultural College. A division of home economics was added in 1903 with the construction of Macdonald Institute, which was financed by Sir William MACDONALD(founder of Macdonald College, Ste-Anne-de-Bellevue, Québec) as part of a movement led by Adelaide HOODLESS to promote domestic science in rural Canada. The Ontario Veterinary College (OVC) was founded by Andrew SMITH in Toronto in 1862 and moved to the Guelph campus in 1922. From 1888 until 1964, the OAC was academically affiliated with the UNIVERSITY OF TORONTO, as were the OVC and Macdonald Institute from 1919. The University of Guelph was established in 1964 on the basis of the founding colleges.
The university presently has six academic colleges: agriculture, VETERINARY MEDICINE, physical and engineering science, biological science, arts, and social and applied human sciences (formed 1 May 1998 in a merger between the former colleges of family and consumer studies and social science). The university also comprises schools in rural planning and development, landscape architecture, rural extension studies and hotel and food administration. In 1997 the university assumed responsibility for a laboratory services unit and the agricultural colleges at Alfred, Kemptville and Ridgetown, which were formerly operated by the Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs (OMAFRA). In addition to its traditional strengths in agriculture and veterinary medicine, Guelph has excellent programs in the basic disciplines in the humanities, the social sciences and the physical and biological sciences; special programs include food technology, environmental sciences, agricultural and biological engineering, human kinetics, nutrition, hotel and food administration and landscape architecture.
The University of Guelph is also one of Canada's most research-intensive universities with more than $80 million annually in research funding. Core research is generated by a unique partnership between the university and OMAFRA that has become the basis for a clustering of agri-food research and technology resources around the university and its 30-acre Research Park. Guelph is well-known for its strengths in areas as diverse as agri-food and veterinary medicine, human nutrition and family development, environmental studies and engineering, rural development and planning, and Scottish history and theatre. Graduate research interests include intervarsity programs in physics, chemistry, biotechnology, industrial and organizational psychology (with the University of Waterloo); philosophy, public policy and administration (with McMaster University); and history (with the University of Waterloo and Wilfrid Laurier University).
The University maintains ties to several now-independent bodies formerly under its aegis, including the Canadian Centre for Toxicology, the Guelph Food Technology Centre, the Institute of Ichthyology, the Guelph Turfgrass Institute, the George Morris Centre and the accredited Couple and Family Therapy Centre. In 1994 the University and its alumni launched GUARD Inc, an arms-length company that will spearhead the commercialization of inventions and discoveries by Guelph researchers.
The University of Guelph is the largest employer in Guelph. Its motto is "Rerum cognoscere causas," a quote from Virgil meaning "To learn the meaning of reality." Its colours are red, black and gold. There are currently 15 000 full-time and 1700 part-time students attending the University of Guelph.