The Governor General's Foot Guards Band
The Governor General's Foot Guards Band, Ottawa. Volunteer militia band formed soon after the establishment of the regiment in 1872. Based on the personnel of the Ottawa Brigade Artillery Band, the ensemble made its debut 15 Jun 1872 under its first director, John C. Bonner. One of the most distinguished of Bonner's successors was Arthur A. Clappé, who led the band for several years, developing a strong complement of 35 men. Joseph Miller Brown, a noted cornetist, was one of Clappé's successors. Brown took the band to New York City in 1906 and again in 1909 on the occasion of the Champlain tercentennial. His son (and successor in 1923) Joseph T. Brown led the band at the opening of Madison Square Gardens in New York in 1925 and at the opening of the International Peace Bridge between Buffalo and Fort Erie in 1937. The band made several appearances during the visit of George VI in 1939.
Later directors have included Maj F.W. Coleman, Capt Alex McCurrdie, the former RCMP band director Edwin Joseph Lydall, Capt George Aubrey, and Maj J.R. Milne who assumed the position in 1979. After World War II the band's summer concerts were broadcast on local radio, and it participated in many massed band displays and tattoos on Parliament Hill. Under Milne the band has travelled to Washington, DC, Atlanta, Toronto, and other centres, and it regularly performs at state functions in Ottawa. The band has produced two recordings: On Parliament Hill (1972, Kanata KAN-8) and Changing the Guard (1982, GGFG FG-1002).