Strathmore, Alta, incorporated as a town in 1911, population 12 305 (2011c), 10 280 (2006c). The Town of Strathmore is located 40 km east of CALGARY. Strathmore was named after Charles Bowes-Lyon, 13th earl of Strathmore (1824-1904), a forefather of Queen Elizabeth II. Strathmore was originally a siding on the CPR main line, which was laid in the area in 1883. The original site of Strathmore was located 6 km north of its present location. It was moved because of the development of an extensive irrigation system, which continues to operate today.
Settlers began to come to the area in 1886 but it was in the early 20th century that Strathmore began to develop. The CPR established a demonstration farm to act as a model farm for settlers, many of whom had never farmed before. Vegetables and flowers grown at the farm supplied both the railway's dining cars and hotels. The railway left the community in 1981. Strathmore's present economic base is still agriculture, particularly cattle ranching, but also includes the oil and natural gas sector. Since the early 1990s Strathmore has experienced tremendous growth (population more than doubled) because of its proximity to Calgary.