Sisters of St Joseph
In 1966, 6 Canadian congregations of Sisters of St Joseph (Hamilton, London, Pembroke, Peterborough, Sault Ste Marie, Toronto) working in the fields of education and health-care activities formed the Federation of the Sisters of St Joseph of Canada. (In a federation, each congregation preserves its autonomy and administration, but shares activities and services.) It was formed because these congregations originate from the Sisters of St Joseph of Carondelet (St Louis, Missouri), who in turn had originated from the Soeurs de Saint-Joseph of Le Puy (France, 1648). The first sisters arrived in Toronto from St Louis in 1851. In 1994 there were 1142 sisters in Canada and the US (down from 1470 in 1986).