Ross Farm, at New Ross, NS, 28 km north of Chester, dates from 1816, when Captain William Ross led 172 disbanded soldiers into the Nova Scotia interior to establish an agricultural settlement. Focusing on the family dwelling called Rosebank Cottage, Ross Farm consisted of tillage, pasture and woodland, and remained the home of the Ross family until 1970, when the New Ross District Museum Society and Nova Scotia Museum undertook its development as a living museum of Nova Scotia's agricultural heritage.
Today, ploughs pulled by oxen, and grain harvested by sickle and scythe, illustrate farming technology from the 19th century and the significance of Nova Scotia's role in the development of Canadian agriculture. Local crafts such as barrel making and woodworking are demonstrated. Period buildings include a blacksmith's shop, cooperage, stave mill and 100-year-old schoolhouse.