Queen's Hall. First hall in Montreal expressly constructed for concert use. It was built in 1880 on the northwest corner of Ste-Catherine and Victoria streets. The auditorium seated 1159 and was equipped with an organ. It served as the home of the Montreal Philharmonic Society (1880-9) and the Mendelssohn Choir of Montreal (1881-90) and was the scene of Emma Albani's three recitals on her return to Canada in March 1883. Queen's Hall was converted to a theatre in 1891 and destroyed by fire in 1899.