Napaktulik Lake, 1080 km2, elevation 381 m, maximum length 60 km, is located in Nunavut almost on the Arctic Circle, 173 km south of Kugluktuk, NWT. The lake is fed by a tributary of the COPPERMINE RIVER and drains northeast to BATHURST INLET via the Hood River. It was discovered by Samuel HEARNE (May 1771) and appears on his map as Thaye Chuckgyed Lake and in his narrative as Thoy-noy-kyed Lake. Sir Alexander MACKENZIE called it Theye Check Lake. First known as Takiyuak Lake (1947) and later Takijug Lake (1966), its present name (since 1981) means "the place where there are trees" in Inuktitut.