Haines JunctionHaines Junction, Yukon, incorporated as a village in 1984, population 593 (2011c), 589 (2006c). The Village of Haines Junction is located in the in the Shakwak Valley of southwestern Yukon at the junction of the ALASKA and Haines highways. The latter highway was built to the port of Haines, Alaska, by US Army engineers 1942-45. Army barracks and shops were the first buildings on the site, and a Canadian customs office and RCMP station followed completion of the road.
This part of the Yukon is home to the Champagne and Aishihik First Nations and the site of the village -- called Dakwakada or "high cache" -- was used as a stopping place along a trade route. Today Haines Junction is their administrative centre. With KLUANE NATIONAL PARK AND RESERVE lying to the west, the village is the park's headquarters and offers a range of recreational activities, including trail riding and guided tours.