Greater Napanee, Ont, incorporated as a town in 1864, population 15 511 (2011c), 15 400 (2006c). The Town of Greater Napanee is located 39 km west of Kingston on the Napanee River and six km from the Bay of Quinte on Lake Ontario. The town was first incorporated as Napanee (after the river) in 1864, but the name was changed to Greater Napanee in 1998 to reflect the amalgamation of Napanee with 4 surrounding townships (Adolphustown, Richmond, South Fredericksburgh and North Fredericksburgh). Napanee is one of the oldest incorporated municipalities in Ontario: first as a village in 1855 and later as a town in 1864.
The area was first settled by Loyalists in the late 1700s. By 1787 there was a sawmill and a grist mill. In 1799 the mills were bought by Richard CARTWRIGHT, a prominent Kingston entrepreneur. Industry flourished throughout the 19th century. Schooners could reach the town using the Bay of Quinte and the Napanee River, and the GRAND TRUNK RAILWAY arrived in 1856.
The economy of Greater Napanee is based on the manufacture of tires, furniture and agricultural products and its position as county seat of Lennox and Addington County. The Gibbard Furniture Shops Ltd has produced furniture and other products since 1835. Local attractions include Macpherson House and the County Museum. The Walleye Derby is held annually.