Chester, NS, incorporated as a village in 1963, population 1529 (2011c), 1496 (2006c). The Village of Chester, 72 km west of HALIFAX, is situated on a point of land bounded by a harbour, at the north end of Mahone Bay. In 19th-century Nova Scotia coastal commerce, Chester was important as a site of shipping, shipbuilding, lumbering and fishing. Its sheltered bay, favourable climate and natural beauty encouraged its gradual change to a popular summer retreat. Part of the Municipality of Chester from 1879, the village (first called Shoreham) of Chester was colonized in 1761 by PLANTERS. Chester grew little through the 19th century; no direct roadway was built between Halifax and Chester until 1848.
Today some light industry is carried on, the summer tourist industry flourishes and most of the labour force is engaged in support or professional services. The village's varied architectural composition includes several 18th-century buildings as well as many from the 19th century; the summer homes reflect this diversity.