CanwoodCanwood, Sask, incorporated as a rural municipality (RM) in 1913, population 1424 (2011c), 1535 (2006c). The Rural Municipality of Canwood is located on the northern fringe of agricultural settlement in Saskatchewan, north and west of Prince Albert. PRINCE ALBERT NATIONAL PARK forms part of the RM's northeast boundary. Settlement in this part of Saskatchewan was delayed because of its remoteness and lack of rail and other services until the early 20th century. In 1913, 9 townships joined together to form the rural municipality of Thompson. In 1916 the municipal council decided to change this name to Canwood. Many early residents found employment in logging, and the name Canwood, a contraction of Canadian Woods, was hence chosen for the community.
In 1954 Canwood was tripled in size when the former RM of Shell Lake and several improvement districts were added to the community. The current size of the RM is almost 25 townships. Most of the people in the area are engaged in agriculture, with grain farming and livestock the major products.