Official Languages Act Education Guide
This guide is an introduction to the Official Languages Act and the history of language policy in Canada. The 50th anniversary of Canada’s Official Languages Act (OLA) represents an opportunity to learn about the history that led to the Act, and its subsequent legacy.
The guide focuses primarily on the Act itself, the factors that led to its creation, and its impact and legacy. It touches on key moments in the history of linguistic policy in Canada, though teachers may wish to address topics in greater detail to provide a deeper understanding of the complex nature of language relations. The complicated nature of recorded history and curricular requirements do not allow us to tell everyone’s stories, and we hope that teachers will share other perspectives, experiences, and stories.
Download the Associated Worksheets and Resources
- Official Languages Act Education Guide
- Historical Language Relations Worksheet
- Spotlight on the Schools Questions Worksheet
- Analyzing Language Relations Through Cartoons Worksheet
- The Official Languages Act Perspectives
- Was the B+B Comission Successful Worksheet
- Commemorating the OLA Worksheet
- All Activities - OLA Worksheets