Public Archives of Canada
See NATIONAL ARCHIVES OF CANADA.
See NATIONAL ARCHIVES OF CANADA.
Queen Elizabeth Theatre. 2,575-seat theatre, home of the Vancouver Opera, the Vancouver Symphony Orchestra (1960-77), and Ballet British Columbia, and administered by the City of Vancouver.
Rainbow Stage, named for its rainbow-shaped proscenium arch, opened with a variety show directed by Duncan on 7 July 1954. In September 1955 Duncan directed the first musical comedy performed there, Brigadoon, which marked the beginning of a tradition.
After several seasons of poor weather a triodetic dome was constructed over the theatre in 1970.
The Robert McLaughlin Gallery (formerly the Art Gallery of Oshawa) was established by a group of artists and citizens of Oshawa, Ont, in February 1967.
Located at the corner of Queen and Elgin streets in Ottawa, the Russell Theatre opened on 15 October 1897.
Schola cantorum. Founded in Montreal 19 Mar 1915 by Jean-Noël Charbonneau. It was inaugurated 15 September as the Diocesan School of Sacred Music by Archbishop Georges Gauthier of Montreal. Its first individual and group lessons were attended by 84 students.
Shaftesbury Hall. The auditorium in Toronto's first YMCA, built at Queen and James streets in 1872 to designs by the architects Smith and Gemmel. The hall was on the ground floor with a direct entrance from the street, a double gallery, and a seating capacity of about 1700.
The Carlu (Eaton Auditorium 1931-76). Concert hall and special events facility located on the top (seventh) floor of the former Eaton's College Street store in Toronto.
The Crest Theatre was founded in 1953 by Donald and Murray DAVIS with the support of their sister, Barbara CHILCOTT. As students, in the late 1940s, Donald and Murray had studied theatre under Robert Gill at the University of Toronto's Hart House Theatre.
The Toronto theatre at 244 Victoria Street was renamed The Ed Mirvish Theatre in December 2011.
Ermitage. Hall located in a Collège de Montréal building at the corner of Côte-des-Neiges and Docteur-Penfield Ave. Built by architect Joseph Alfred-Hector Lapierre (1859-1932) between 1911 and 1913 to provide needed space for the college, it was first used for student productions and recreation.
Located in the heart of Québec City on the Wendake Reserve along the Akiawenrahk (Saint-Charles) River, the Huron-Wendat Museum highlights the history and culture of the Huron-Wendat nation.
English-language theatre in the Province of Québec in the late 18th and early 19th centuries was not confined to ALLEN'S COMPANY OF COMEDIANS. Other troupes, whose members came from theatre traditions in Britain and the continent, travelled to Québec via Albany or Boston in the United States.
The Rooms is a cultural centre located in St. John’s, Newfoundland, that showcases the history, heritage and art of Newfoundland and Labrador.
The Stratford Festival is one of the world’s premier festivals of classical and contemporary theatre.
The Winnipeg Art Gallery (WAG) was established in 1912 in two rented rooms in the city's old Federal Building at the corner of Main and Water Streets.
Theatre Passe Muraille (meaning “theatre beyond walls”) was the first alternative theatre in Toronto. It focused on breaking down barriers and exploring new ideas and methods of storytelling. Despite financial crises over the years, it has maintained its alternative roots as a producer of provocative and groundbreaking Canadian theatre, as well as a launching pad for emerging companies and artists.
When in the early 1800s Montréal failed to attract talented artists for lack of a decent hall, John MOLSON built the 1500-seat Theatre Royal on a vacant lot owned by him on the corner of St Paul and Victor streets.