Stephenville Crossing, NL, incorporated as a town in 1958, population 1875 (2011c), 1960 (2006c). The Town of Stephenville Crossing is located at the head of St George's Bay on a low, flat floodplain between STEPHENVILLE and ST GEORGE'S on the west coast of Newfoundland.
The low, level terrain was attractive to farmers, who began working the land in the late 19th century. It was known locally as La Grange or The Prairie. After the construction of a rail line through the area in the 1890s, a small community of railway workers and loggers cutting ties grew up where the railway crossed an open body of water called the Gut. A lumber mill, dairy and 2 creameries were soon established at what came to be called Stephenville Crossing.
In WWII the construction of an airbase at nearby Stephenville added to local employment (although the base closed in 1966). The closing of the railway in 1988 was a blow to this railway community. Today the main employer is a senior citizens home, and there is also employment in the service and education sectors.