Rockwood, Manitoba, incorporated as a rural municipality in 1880, population 7964 (2011c), 7692 (2006c). The Rural Municipality of Rockwood is located north of Winnipeg; it includes the communities of Stony Mountain, Grosse Isle, Argyle, Balmoral, Gunton and Komarno. STONEWALL and Teulon are separate corporate entities. Stony Mountain was a haven from RED RIVER flood waters for early traders and later for Red River colonists.
Homesteading began in the 1860s; during the 1870s settlers included Ontarians, Americans, Red River colonists and British immigrants. Scandinavians settled at Norris Lake and Teulon; UKRAINIANS at Komarno. Mixed farming was the main activity, but several brick yards and quarries were established and crushed LIMESTONE from Stonewall quarries became a major industry.
Agriculture remains prominent today and one quarry is in production. Other Industries include an aerospace plant near Stony Mountain and a fish hatchery - it was a federal fish hatchery/research station from 1971 to 1996 - at Gunton. A federal prison has been at Stony Mountain since 1874.