Pouch Cove, NL, incorporated as a town in 1970, population 1866 (2011c), 1756 (2006c). The Town of Pouch Cove is located about 25 km north of ST JOHN'S near Cape St Francis. In 1987 it was amalgamated with the community of Shoe Cove. The origin of the name Pouch, pronounced "pooch," is unknown.
Pouch Cove's origins date back to 1611, making it one of the earliest settlements in Newfoundland. Each year British fishing fleets came to Newfoundland's rich fishing grounds. In addition to fishermen, the carpenters and blacksmiths who accompanied them were the first to settle the area. During this time the British government was discouraging settlement of the area. The site was chosen because its dangerous harbour would dissuade the Royal Navy from searching the shores. Around 1800 the area had attracted enough homesteaders to formally establish a community. Most early settlers combined mixed farming with seasonal work as fishermen or sealers. Many raised cattle and vegetables for sale in St John's. In the 1940s military bases and the airport at TORBAY opened up new employment possibilities, as did the completion of a paved highway to St John's. Today Pouch Cove has become primarily a bedroom community for St John's.