Neguac, NB, incorporated as a village in 1967, population 1678 (2011c), 1623 (2006c). The Village of Neguac is located in northeast New Brunswick near the head of Miramichi Bay, 41 km northeast of Miramichi. The origin of the name is a Mi'kmaq word whose meaning has been debated. Various interpretations include "barren land" and "badly situated."
The first inhabitants of the area were the Mi'kmaq who became allies of the French in the local fur trade. The first settler was Jean Savoie in 1756. He and his family were escaping the deportation of Acadians that began in 1755 (see Acadia, History of). Other Acadians soon followed. Maison Robichaud, a provincial historic site (1994), is an Acadian house that dates from c 1795. It is most likely the oldest extant Acadian house in New Brunswick.
Fishing and fish processing have always been major economic activities of the area. Today Neguac has an oyster fishery and a seasonal lobster fishery. Agriculture and logging, though formerly important activities, are less significant today.