Maurice Pollack Foundation
Maurice Pollack Foundation. Established in 1955 by Maurice Pollack (merchant, philanthropist, b Kanele, Kiev, 28 Jan 1885, d Quebec City 16 Dec 1968). After arriving in Canada in 1902, Pollack settled in Quebec City, where he opened a department store and became prosperous. He set up a foundation to aid Canadian organizations. The foundation has allocated most of its funds to institutions in Quebec, notably to Laval University, McGill University, the Quebec Symphony Orchestra, and the MSO. In 1966 it earmarked a fund for the eventual construction of a concert hall at McGill University. It was not until 1973 that the decision was made to transform and enlarge the former Assembly Hall of the Royal Victoria College, renamed the Strathcona Music Building in 1971, into a modern concert hall, to be named Maurice Pollack Hall in accordance with the terms of the contract drawn up between the foundation and McGill. Inaugurated in 1975, it became McGill's first modern concert facility (specifically designed as such).
The Pollack Foundation is made up chiefly of members of the family. Maurice Pollack was its president until his death, succeeded by his son Charles C. Pollack. Florence Pedvis became president in 1981.