Indian Head, Sask, incorporated as a town in 1902, population 1815 (2011c), 1634 (2006c). The Town of Indian Head is located in the heart of Saskatchewan's richest farming area, south of the Qu'Appelle Valley, 69 km east of Regina. Its first settlers moved into the district in 1882, a few months ahead of the Canadian Pacific Railway. Indian Head was named for a low range of hills a few kilometres to the southwest of the townsite. The town remains very prominent in the agricultural industry of the province. Not only is it a prime wheat-growing area, it is also the site of an Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada research farm (established in 1886 and one of the first AGRICULTURAL RESEARCH STATIONS in Canada), and the PRAIRIE FARM REHABILITATION ADMINISTRATION Shelterbelt Centre (established as a tree nursery in 1902).