Falher, Alta, incorporated as a village in 1923 and as a town in 1955, population 1075 (2011c), 941 (2006c). The Town of Falher is located 45 km south of PEACE RIVER. It was named for Father Constant Falher, a Roman Catholic priest who, with Father Jean-Baptiste Giroux, set out to settle this part of the Peace River Country with Francophone settlers from Quebec and the northeastern United States. The first group arrived in 1912 and named their community and church St Jean Baptiste de Falher after the 2 priests. The district soon filled up with Francophone farmers. The trappings of their culture remain strong today and are centered at La Société Historique et Généalogique de Smoky River in nearby Donnelly.
The Falher townsite was subdivided by the Edmonton, Dunvegan & British Columbia Railway in 1915. From 1973 to 2007, mixed farming was bolstered by alfalfa processing. Recent natural gas discoveries have also added to the economy. BEEKEEPING is another local industry, with Falher describing itself as the "Honey Capital of Canada."