De Meurons, Swiss infantry regiment raised 1781; transferred 1795 to the British army. It served in India until October 1806, then moved to England, and was sent to Lower Canada in August 1813. There it saw limited service in the WAR OF 1812 under Sir George PREVOST during the PLATTSBURGH campaign of September 1814. Remaining in the Canadas, it was disbanded in July 1816, more than half of the 640 other ranks electing to stay as settlers. Some were immediately recruited by Lord SELKIRK for his expedition to the RED RIVER COLONY. In 1821 some former officers helped recruit Swiss settlers for Red River.