David Stirling, architect (b at Galashiels, Scot 6 Dec 1822; d at Charlottetown 13 Apr 1887). Stirling immigrated to St John's in 1847 and worked on the rebuilding of the town after the fire of 1846. He established practices in Charlottetown and Halifax, designing and supervising the construction of all kinds of buildings in a career spanning 35 years. In 1872 Stirling was appointed Dominion architect for federal works in NS and in 1880 was made an associate architect of the Royal Canadian Academy of Arts. His buildings include the Pictou County Court House (1855), the Halifax Club, and, with W.C. HARRIS in 1877, Hensley Chapel, King's College, Windsor, NS, and the Kirk of St James, Charlottetown.