Carberry, Manitoba, incorporated as a town in 1905, population 1669 (2011c), 1502 (2006c). The Town of Carberry is located 158 km west of Winnipeg and 51 km east of Brandon. The coming of the Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR) in 1882 in south-central Manitoba was the first impetus to settlement. The original intention had been to locate the station at DeWinton. However, after the CPR head office discovered that its own agent owned most of DeWinton, the company purchased a new site. It was called Carberry by James Hill, after Carberry Tower, in Musselburgh, Scotland, seat of Lord Elphinstone, a director of the CPR.
Carberry's major economic activity was agriculture. However, it has also became well known for the natural areas close by, especially Spruce Woods Provincial Park and Forest. Ernest Thompson SETON, a naturalist and author, spent time in the area and dedicated his book The Trail of the Sandhill Stag to the pioneers of the area.
In 1940 Number 33 Service Flying Training School was organized there as part of the BRITISH COMMONWEALTH AIR TRAINING PLAN, and operated for 4 years. Later, the base was purchased by J.R. Simplot Co, which converted it into a potato-processing plant. Operated as Carnation Foods Ltd, jointly owned by J.R. Simplot and Nestlé Canada, the plant now employs over 400 people and has 85 process growers. Potato products produced in Carberry are widely distributed.