Borden-Carleton, PEI, incorporated as a community in 1983, population 750 (2011c), 786 (2006c). The Community of Borden-Carleton was created in 1995 with the amalgamation of the town of Borden (incorporated in 1919) and the community of Carleton Siding (incorporated in 1977). It is situated 56 km southwest of Charlottetown. William Carruthers first settled the area in 1819 and it was then known as Carleton Point. As a result of its fertile soil and navigable harbour, other Scots soon immigrated to the area. Just 14 km of deep water separate Borden from Cape Tormentine, NB; this feature of geography has influenced its development. In 1851, the first submarine telegraph cable in BNA was laid between the 2 land points. With the federal decision to establish a permanent car ferry before the Great War, Carleton Point was chosen as the Island terminal. In 1916, the village was renamed in honour of Prime Minister Sir Robert Borden. Today, Borden is best-known as the Terminus at Confederation Bridge.