Biggar, Sask, incorporated as a town in 1911, population 2161 (2011c), 2033 (2006c). The Town of Biggar is located in west-central Saskatchewan, 93 km west of Saskatoon. Established by the Grand Trunk Pacific Railway (GTPR), it was named for William H. Biggar, general counsel of the GTPR. The community's initial development was based on the railway's decision to establish a divisional point at that location. It has continued its role as a railway centre and it still serves as the commercial hub of a good grain-farming area.