Bay Roberts, Nfld, incorporated as a town in 1951, population 5818 (2011c), 5414 (2006c). The Town of Bay Roberts is located on the west shore of Conception Bay. Established by the late 1600s by English fishermen, Bay Roberts is probably named for a French family name, Robert. The inshore fishery and later the Labrador fishery and seal hunt contributed to the growth of Bay Roberts as a leading fishing, trading and commercial settlement by the 1800s.
With Carbonear and Harbour Grace, Bay Roberts became an important service, supply and communications centre with numerous wholesale companies and small-scale industries, for the most part, a role it continues today. It was the largest salt-fish producing centre in Newfoundland, supplying European, Brazilian and Caribbean markets. In the 1970s the original settlement expanded to include several nearby communities.
The Cable Building (1913) was designated a national historic site in 2008 and houses the town's municipal offices, chambers and archives as well as a museum and art gallery. This building was built as a relay station on the telegraph connection from England to North and South America and shutdown in 1960.