Fort Qu'Appelle, Sask, incorporated as a town in 1951, population 2034 (2011c), 1919 (2006c). The Town of Fort Qu'Appelle is located 70 km northeast of Regina in the scenic Qu'Appelle valley. Named for the Qu'Appelle River, Fort Qu'Appelle was the hub of several historic trails that traversed the northwest. An Anglican mission was established there in 1854, and 10 years later the Hudson's Bay Company erected a provisioning post and district headquarters.
The Cree and Saulteaux signed Treaty 4 at this site in 1874, and a year later a North-West Mounted Police outpost was established near the present townsite. In 1881 Chief Sitting Bull and a party of Sioux warriors travelled to Fort Qu'Appelle to secure provisions and negotiate with Supt James Walsh. The fort was chosen by General Middleton as a temporary headquarters and base of operations for his troops on the way to Batoche during the Northwest Rebellion of 1885.
Though it lost out to Regina in a bid to succeed Battleford as the territorial capital in 1882, the town has prospered through the exploitation of its considerable recreational potential and benefited from the mixed farming that predominates in the area.