Browse "Towns"

Displaying 241-260 of 379 results
Article

Orangeville

Orangeville, Ont, incorporated as a town in 1874, population 27 975 (2011c), 26 925 (2006c). The Town of Orangeville is located 58 km northwest of Toronto in Dufferin County.

Article

Oromocto

Oromocto, New Brunswick, incorporated as a town in 1956, population 9,223 (2016 census), 8,932 (2011 census). The town of Oromocto is located at the junction of the Oromocto and Saint John rivers, 22 km southeast of Fredericton. The Wolastoqiyik (Maliseet) called the Oromocto River Wel-a-mook'-took (“deep water”) because of its good canoeing. The northeastern portion of the town bounds the Oromocto First Nation’s reserve, Oromocto No. 26.

Article

Osoyoos

Osoyoos, BC, incorporated as a town in 1946, population 4845 (2011c), 4752 (2006c). The Town of Osoyoos is located on Osoyoos Lake, 60 km south of Penticton in the OKANAGAN VALLEY.

Article

Otterburn Park

The name Otterburn is a reminder of the birthplace of Sir Joseph Hickson, general manager of the GRAND TRUNK RAILWAY from 1874 to 1890.

Article

Outlook

The town of Outlook developed as a result of railway land development. In 1908 the Canadian Pacific Railway purchased the farm of a local homesteader and announced that it would be developed as a townsite.

Article

Paradise

Paradise, NL, incorporated as a town in 1981, population 17 695 (2011c), 12 584 (2006c). The Town of Paradise is situated inland approximately 13 km from downtown ST JOHN'S.

Article

Parrsboro

Parrsboro, NS, incorporated as a town in 1889, population 1305 (2011c), 1401 (2006c). The Town of Parrsboro, located where the Parrsboro River meets the MINAS BASIN.

Article

Parry Sound

Parry Sound, Ont, incorporated as a town in 1887, population 6191 (2011c), 5818 (2006c). The Town of Parry Sound is located on the eastern side of GEORGIAN BAY, 225 km north of Toronto. The name honours British explorer Sir

Article

Pasadena

Pasadena, NL, incorporated as a town in 1955, population 3352 (2011c), 3180 (2006c). The Town of Pasadena is situated on the shores of Deer Lake in the Humber Valley region of western Newfoundland, 25 km from the seaport and paper-milling centre of Corner Brook.

Article

Peace River (Alta)

Peace River, Alta, incorporated as a town in 1919, population 6744 (2011c), 6315 (2006c). The Town of Peace River is located near the confluence of the PEACE and Smoky rivers.

Article

Pelham

The rural-agricultural environment includes the Short Hills, vineyards, orchards and Canada's oldest sugar maple tree. There are sand quarries on the Fonthill Kame.

Article

Penetanguishene

The earliest European visitors were Étienne BRÛLÉ and Samuel de CHAMPLAIN, developing links between New France and the HURON.

Article

Percé

Percé's history is as old as that of NEW FRANCE. Jacques CARTIER arrived there in 1534, and European fishermen used the bay as a haven in the 16th and 17th centuries.

Article

Perth

Cheese making has always been an important local industry. In 1893 a local cheese weighing 9979 kg and measuring 1.8 m high and 8.56 m around was sent to the Chicago world's fair.

Article

Petawawa

The township was surveyed in 1857, but it attracted few settlers until 1904, when the Canadian government chose it as the site for a new military camp. Camp PETAWAWA eventually grew to encompass large portions of 4 townships, and has become one of Canada's most important military bases.

Article

Petrolia

Petrolia was originally called Petrolea but its name was changed due to a clerical error. Both its original and current names reflect the discovery of oil in the area. Oil was discovered in 1861 although it was not until 1866 that it was developed. That same year it was incorporated as a village.

Article

Pictou

Pictou, NS, incorporated as a town in 1873, population 3437 (2011c), 3813 (2006c). The Town of Pictou, shire town of Pictou County, is located on Pictou Harbour adjacent to Northumberland Strait and the Gulf of St Lawrence.

Article

Pilot Butte

Pilot Butte is now a residential community for Regina, appealing to those who prefer a more rural lifestyle. This upward trend in population bucks the general Saskatchewan trend of depopulation of rural areas. A violent storm hit the area on 26 August 1995, damaging most homes in the community.

Article

Pincher Creek

Pincher Creek, Alta, incorporated as a town in 1906, population 3685 (2011c), 3625 (2006c). The Town of Pincher Creek is located in southwestern Alberta at the eastern edge of the ROCKY MOUNTAINS. It was established in 1878 as a NORTH-WEST MOUNTED POLICE post and farm on Pincher's Creek.

Article

Pine Point

Pine Point, Northwest Territories, was a town located 10 km inland from the south shore of GREAT SLAVE LAKE , 87 km east of Hay River.