Whitby, Ont, incorporated as a town in 1855, population 122 022 (2011c), 111 184 (2006c). The Town of Whitby is located on Lake Ontario, 48 km east of Toronto. It was first known as Perry's Corners, after Peter Perry, a dynamic early settler. It was also known as Windsor, but was renamed Whitby in 1848 after a seaside town in Yorkshire, Eng. Whitby was made the county town for Ontario County in 1852 and was incorporated as a town in 1855. The former town of Whitby and township of Whitby amalgamated in 1968 to form a new municipality called the Town of Whitby.
In Jan 1974 the County of Ontario was dissolved and Whitby became one of 8 area municipalities in the new Regional Municipality of Durham. With its excellent harbour, the Whitby-Port Perry Ry (1869) and road connections, Whitby's primary 19th-century economic activity was as a transportation centre; it had some of the finest grain-handling facilities on the N Shore of Lake Ontario. By 1871, however, it had been eclipsed by both Oshawa and Toronto.
Whitby was in William Lyon MACKENZIE'S riding and he held so many pre-1837 meetings in the town square that it became known as "radical corners." Other notables included local editor and Liberal organizer W.H. Higgins, whose letter to Archbishop Lynch of Toronto helped spur Ontario's "No Popery" campaign. A Senior "A" hockey team, the Whitby Dunlops, was one of the last Canadian teams to win the world championship (1958).