Uranium City, Saskatchewan, northern settlement, population 73 (2016 census), 105 (2011 census). Uranium City is located about 50 km south of the provincial boundary with the Northwest Territories and 75 km east of the Saskatchewan-Alberta border.
The fur trade was the dominant economic activity until the 1930s, when gold was discovered in the Beaverlodge Lake area. From 1938 until the mid-1940s, gold was mined in the area. In 1946, uranium exploration began and Eldorado Mining & Refining Ltd. started production in 1953. In 1952, the townsite of Uranium City was established. The creation of a special local government jurisdiction followed in 1956.
The mining community thrived until Eldorado announced that it was closing its operations. Since the end of mining and milling operations in 1982, the community has experienced economic collapse and depopulation.