Music at University of Guelph
University of Guelph. Founded at Guelph, Ont, in 1964 as a non-denominational graduate and undergraduate institution incorporating the Ontario Veterinary College (founded 1862), the Ontario Agricultural College (1874), and the Macdonald Institute (1903). It is especially noted for its agricultural and veterinary programs, but by 1991 had become a large, multi-disciplinary university.
In 1947 Ralph A. Kidd became director of musical activities for the three colleges. Upon the establishment of the University of Guelph, a music division was created within the Faculty of Arts. Nicholas Goldschmidt was appointed director of music in 1967, and Stanley Saunders succeeded him in 1974. In 1984 the music division became a full department, with Edward Phillips as chair 1985-8, succeeded by Gerald F. Manning.
Among Kidd's responsibilities was the direction of choral activities on an extracurricular basis. Under Gerald Neufeld, who assumed its direction in 1978, the University of Guelph mixed choir has sung in a popular summer program and has made several overseas tours. Guest conductors have included Goldschmidt, Fred Stoltzfus, and Kathryn Laurin. In 1974 the University of Guelph SO and the Guelph Chamber Orchestra joined to form the University of Guelph Civic Orchestral Association under the direction of Saunders, who continued to lead the group in 1991. The University of Guelph also has a Jazz Ensemble. In 1988 Charles Wilson became the university's first composer-in-residence; he has also taught electronic music courses.
The Dept of Music offers a full range of general and honours programs leading to the BA degree. In 1990-1 there were 18 teachers in the music division, 6 full-time and 12 part-time, and the student enrolment was 51.
Begun in January 1968 under the management of Edith Kidd, the university's Thursday noon-hour concerts, sponsored by the Faculty of Arts, have become a highlight of campus musical life. They continued in 1990-1 under concert manager Dudley Gibbs, presenting eminent performers and ensembles from Canada and abroad. In 1987 the library of the University of Guelph acquired the archives of the Guelph Spring Festival; the campus has been the site of many festival events.