Choeur V'là l'bon vent
Choeur V'là l'bon vent. Founded in Quebec City in 1958 by Gilles Julien, president, and François Provencher, music director 1958-73. Diane Lapierre became conductor and music director in 1973. In 1960 the choir became affiliated with the French choral movement À Coeur Joie. The choir maintains 50 to 60 members, and its constitution stipulates that 60 per cent of its repertoire must be Canadian. The stipulation is met mainly by arrangements of pop songs in French (Gilles Vigneault, Félix Leclerc, Yves Duteil, Charles Trenet etc) and to a degree by folksongs. The choir is also known by the name of Troupe V'là l'bon vent since dance and pageants are an integral part of the presentation; an orchestra accompanies the singers who also function as dancers and actors. The choir gives regular concerts and participates in congresses, festivals and festive celebrations. It was the first Canadian choir to participate (in 1962) at the Choralies de Vaison-la-Romaine in France, where its particular style (choreography and movement with singing) captured attention. It participated in Expo 67 in Montreal, at the Canada Week at Expo 70 in Osaka, Japan, at the International Festival of folk-arts in Carthage, Tunisia in 1975 and at Expo 86 in Vancouver, among other events. Its tours have taken it to the USA, Germany, Belgium, Italy, Switzerland, Australia, and most parts of Canada. The choir also has performed in TV programs including 'Perry Como's French-Canadian Christmas' in 1982.