La Grosse Île, or Île de Quarantaine, 2.9 km long by 1 km wide, is located 46 km downstream from Québec City in the ST LAWRENCE RIVER estuary. The island is a wooded Appalachian ridge sculpted by coves and capes. In 1646 the Île de Grâce was ceded to Governor Charles Huault de MONTMAGNY.
Prince Edward Island is Canada's smallest province, making up just 0.1 per cent of Canada’s total land area. It is situated in the Gulf of St Lawrence and separated from Nova Scotia and New Brunswick by the Northumberland Strait. PEI was known to its earliest settlers, the Mi’kmaq as Abegweit, meaning "cradle in the waves,” and was described by Jacques Cartier in 1534 as "the fairest land that may possibly be seen." PEI's deep red soil has always been its most striking feature and, together with the sea, the mainstay of the population since the early 18th century.4