Browse "Islands"

Displaying 41-60 of 84 results
Article

Île du Cap aux Meules

Île du Cap aux Meules, Qué, 50 km2, is one island in the Îles de la MADELEINE archipelago, located in the middle of the Gulf of ST LAWRENCE. It is named after the sandstone hill that supplied the stone used to make grindstones (meules in French) for flour mills.

Article

Île-à-la-Crosse

Montréal-based trader Thomas FROBISHER built the first fur trade post in the area in 1776. Competing posts were set up by Alexander MACKENZIE in 1785 and the Hudson's Bay Company in 1799. From here the Athabasca brigades headed northwest. In 1846 Fathers LAFLÈCHE and TACHÉ established a mission.

Article

Îles de la Madeleine

Preceded by Basque fishermen, Jacques Cartier arrived at Île Brion in 1534; he named it in honour of the great French admiral. He christened the islands "Les Araynes" (arènes is a French poetry word for sand) because of the endless beaches of sand. Later French fishermen called them Îles Ramées.

Article

Îles de Mingan

Native burial grounds indicate they were inhabited before Jacques Cartier first reported the islands in 1535. Surveys have also uncovered 16th-century Spanish coins and the remains of Basque habitations.

Article

Island

The total number of islands in Canada has never been established, but it is very large. It is estimated that there are some 30 000 islands along the eastern shore of GEORGIAN BAY alone (the Thirty Thousand Islands).

Article

Killiniq Island

Killiniq Island, 269 km2, is located off the northern tip of the Labrador Peninsula on the south side of the entrance to Hudson Strait. The provincial boundary passes across the island, so that its eastern portion belongs to Newfoundland and the rest is part of Nunavut.

Article

Landsat Island

A small island 20 km off the northeast Labrador coast, named in recognition of the fact that it was first detected on imagery from the satellite Landsat-1. This satellite, designed for Earth-monitoring, was the first of a continuing series launched by the US having transmissions received in Canada.

Article

Manitoulin Island

Manitoulin Island, 2765 km2, the largest island in the world located in a lake, is part of an archipelago at the top of Lake Huron straddling the Ontario-Michigan border. Its northern shore encloses the North Channel, which leads to the St Mary's River at Sault Ste Marie.

Article

Mansel Island

Mansel Island, 112 km long by 48 km wide, is the smallest of 3 islands lying across the entrance to HUDSON BAY. Its topography features a gently undulating limestone lowland with elevations not exceeding 100 m.

Article

Melville Island

Melville Island, 42 149 km 2 , is the fourth-largest of the QUEEN ELIZABETH ISLANDS . The Northwest Territories-Nunavut boundary splits the island in half. Its western half, which is in the Northwest Territories, is hilly,

Article

Miscou Island

Miscou Island, 64 km2, comprises the most eastern part of Gloucester County, New Brunswick, on the west side of the Gulf of St Lawrence and at the entrance to CHALEUR BAY.

Article

Navy Island

Navy Island is the only Canadian island in the Niagara River. The 127.9 ha island is named after a British shipyard (1793) where the first naval vessels to sail the Upper Great Lakes were constructed.

Article

Oak Island

In 1795, 16-year-old Daniel McGinnis discovered a depression in the ground near a huge oak tree and evidence that a block and tackle had been used there. McGinnis and 2 friends dug at the site, revealing a filled-in shaft with platforms of decayed oak logs at 3 m levels.

Article

Parry Islands

The Parry Islands are a group of high arctic islands comprising Melville, Bathurst and Cornwallis islands, as well as a number of smaller ones. Melville is the largest of the 3 main islands and is also the highest, exceeding 1000 m in places.

Article

Partridge Island

Partridge Island, or Canada's Emerald Isle, is 18 km2, 0.6 km long by 0.3 km wide, at the mouth of Saint John Harbour. The island is a 300-million-year-old volcanic ash deposit, now sparsely covered by birch, spruce, willow and alder.