Browse "Towns"

Displaying 161-180 of 379 results
Article

Kamsack

Kamsack primarily serves as an agricultural service centre for the surrounding district, which contains both grain and mixed farms.

Article

Kapuskasing

Kapuskasing, Ont, incorporated as a town in 1921, population 8196 (2011c), 8509 (2006c). The Town of Kapuskasing is located on the Kapuskasing River, 493 km northwest of North Bay.

Article

Kensington

Owing to its crossroads location, the town received a station when the PEI Railway was constructed in 1873. Today Kensington is still a commercial centre, although it competes with the larger port town of Summerside.

Article

Kentville

Kentville, NS, incorporated as a town in 1886, population 6094 (2011c), 5815 (2006c). The Town of Kentville is located on the Cornwallis River, 110 km northwest of Halifax.

Article

Kindersley

Kindersley, Sask, incorporated as a town in 1911, population 4678 (2011c), 4412 (2006c). The Town of Kindersley is located in west-central Saskatchewan, 200 km southwest of Saskatoon and 65 km east of the Alberta border. The town

Article

Kingsville

Kingsville, Ont, incorporated as a town in 1901, population 21 362 (2011c), 20 908 (2006c). The Town of Kingsville amalgamated with the townships of Gosfield South and Gosfield North in 1998. Kingsville is located about 40 km southeast of WINDSOR, in Essex County on the north shore of Lake Erie.

Article

Kippens

Kippens, NL, incorporated as a town in 1968, population 1815 (2011c), 1739 (2006c). The Town of Kippins is located on the west coast of Newfoundland to the west of STEPHENVILLE and overlooking St George's Bay.

Article

Kirkland

The town began with an edict by King Louis the XIV of France on 29 June 1711 which established the parish of St-Joachim de Pointe-Claire. A civil parish was established 11 years later on 3 March 1722. On 1 July 1845, the parish came under the control of the clergy.

Article

Kirkland Lake

Kirkland Lake, Ont, incorporated as a town in 1972, population 8133 (2011c), 8248 (2006c). The Town of Kirkland Lake is located 241 km northwest of North Bay.

Article

Klondike

Klondike (also spelled Klondyke). The name is derived from a Gwich'in word, thron-duick (hammer river), and identifies a town, a river, and a range of hills in the Yukon.

Article

La Malbaie

First named Baye des Morues, or "bay of cod," by Jean Alphonse in the 1500s, it was referred to as malle baye (latin, "bad bay") by Samuel de CHAMPLAIN in 1608 for its difficult anchorage. Some of New France's first rural settlements were located in the area.

Article

La Ronge

Occupation of the present townsite started when Archdeacon John Alexander Mackay established a residential school and sawmill (1898). Not accessible by road until 1947, the largely Indigenous community grew very slowly for many years.

Article

La Sarre

HistoryFounded in 1917, it was one of the first agricultural centres to be settled when the transcontinental railway opened up the Abitibi region around 1910.

Article

La Tuque

In 1904 the Brown Corp, an American paper company, bought the falls and neighbouring lands and in 1907 built a pulp mill powered by electricity from a dam. The town born of this industry grew and became the gathering point for forest workers.

Article

Labrador City

Labrador City, NL, incorporated as a town in 1961, population 7367 (2011c), 7240 (2006c). The Town of Labrador City is located in western Labrador near the Québec border.

Article

Lachute

Agriculture sustained the early settlers, but the town developed through its close connection with the paper and textile industries.

Article

Lacombe

Lacombe, Alta, incorporated as a town in 1902 and as a city in 2010, population 11 707 (2011c), 10 752 (2006c). The City of Lacombe, the county seat for the County of Lacombe, is situated in rolling parkland some 118 km south of Edmonton.

Article

Ladysmith

Ladysmith, BC, incorporated as a town in 1904, population 7921 (2011c), 7538 (2006c). The Town of Ladysmith is located on the east coast of VANCOUVER ISLAND, 85 km north of Victoria. It is located on Ladysmith Harbour on the northern edge of a lucrative farming area.

Article

Lake Cowichan

Lake Cowichan, BC, incorporated as a town in 1996, population 2974 (2011c), 3012 (2006c). The Town of Lake Cowichan is located adjacent to the Cowichan River and Cowichan Lake on southern VANCOUVER ISLAND, 26 km west of DUNCAN.