Browse "Towns"

Displaying 361-379 of 379 results
Article

Wabana

Wabana, NL, incorporated as a town in 1950, population 2346 (2011c), 2418 (2006c). The Town of Wabana is located on the north end of BELL ISLAND in Conception Bay and is the principal community on the island.

Article

Wabush

Wabush, NL, incorporated as a town in 1967, population 1861 (2011c), 1739 (2006c). The Town of Wabush is located in western LABRADOR close to the Québec border 5 km south of LABRADOR CITY.

Article

Wadena

Wadena, Sask, incorporated as a town in 1912, population 1306 (2011c), 1315 (2006c). The Town of Wadena is located about 200 km east of SASKATOON near the Quill Lakes. In the 18th century this area was the territory of the Saulteaux.

Article

Wainwright

Wainwright, Alta, incorporated as a town in 1910, population 5925 (2011c), 5426 (2006c). The Town of Wainwright is located 200 km southeast of Edmonton. The first settlement, Denwood, established in 1906, was moved in its entirety to a railway divisional point 4 km away in 1908.

Article

Warman

Warman, Sask, incorporated as a town in 1966, population 7084 (2011c), 4769 (2006c). The Town of Warman is located about 20 km north of SASKATOON. In 1890 the Qu'Appelle, Long Lake and Saskatchewan Railway was completed from

Article

Wasaga Beach

Wasaga Beach, ON, incorporated as a town in 1974, population 20,675 (2016 census), 17,537 (2011 census). The Town of Wasaga Beach is located on the shores of Georgian Bay at the mouth of the Nottawasaga River, about 40 km northwest of Barrie. Wasaga Beach is the world's longest freshwater beach. The name was derived from the Nottawasaga River.

Article

Watson Lake

Watson Lake became an important communication centre after the construction of a major airport (1943), and remains a transportation hub, linking roads from BC with main routes to the interior and to the Northwest Territories. The town is also the centre for forestry and mining in the region.

Article

West Nipissing

The area has long been of historic significance to the Indigenous people there, as it lies alongside the water route linking the Ottawa Valley and Lake Huron.

Article

Westlock

Westlock, Alta, incorporated as a town in 1916, population 4823 (2011c), 5008 (2006c). The Town of Westlock is located 80 km northwest of Edmonton.

Article

Westville

Westville, NS, incorporated as a town in 1894, population 3798 (2011c), 3805 (2006c). The Town of Westville is located near the Middle River, 8 km southwest of NEW GLASGOW.

Article

Whitby

In Jan 1974 the County of Ontario was dissolved and Whitby became one of 8 area municipalities in the new Regional Municipality of Durham.

Article

Whitchurch-Stouffville

The area of Whitchurch Township was the site of several Indigenous villages. The first European settlement took place in the 1790s. Stouffville (originally Stouffersville or Stoversville) was named after Abraham Stouffer, who arrived in 1805.

Article

Whitecourt

Whitecourt, Alta, incorporated as a town in 1971, population 9605 (2011c), 8971 (2006c). The Town of Whitecourt is located near the confluence of the McLeod and ATHABASCA rivers, 177 km northwest of Edmonton.

Article

Wilkie

Wilkie, Sask, incorporated as a town in 1911, population 1301 (2011c), 1222 (2006c). The Town of Wilkie is located in east-central Saskatchewan 160 km west of Saskatoon. Wilkie developed as a stopping place on the Medicine Hat

Article

Windsor (NS)

Windsor, NS, incorporated as a town in 1878, population 3785 (2011c), 3709 (2006c). The Town of Windsor is located in central Nova Scotia, at the mouth of the Avon and St Croix rivers.

Article

Wolfville

Wolfville, NS, incorporated as a town in 1893, population 4269 (2011c), 3772 (2006c). The Town of Wolfville is located on Minas Basin, 75 km northwest of Halifax.

Article

Woodstock (NB)

Woodstock, NB, incorporated as a town in 1856, population 5254 (2011c), 5113 (2006c). The Town of Woodstock, the shire town of Carleton County, is located 103 km up the Saint John River from Fredericton, at the mouth of the Meduxnekeag River.

Article

Wynyard

Wynyard, Sask, incorporated as a town in 1911, population 1767 (2011c), 1744 (2006c). The Town of Wynyard is located 150 km north of Regina. The area was originally settled in 1905 by a group of ICELANDERS. The Canadian Pacific

Article

Yarmouth

Yarmouth, NS, incorporated as a town in 1890, population 6761 (2011c), 7162 (2006c). The Town of Yarmouth is located at the entrance to Yarmouth Harbour at the western tip of Nova Scotia and referred to as Eastern Canada's Gateway.