Browse "Towns"

Displaying 321-340 of 379 results
Article

St Lawrence

St Lawrence, NL, incorporated as a town in 1949, population 1244 (2011c), 1349 (2006c). The Town of St Lawrence is located in the southeast corner of Newfoundland on the Burin Peninsula.

Article

St Marys

The CANADA COMPANY had the area surveyed in 1839. The first settlers were attracted to the community in the 1840s because its location on the banks of the 2 watercourses meant water power to run various mills.

Article

St Paul

St Paul, Alta, incorporated as a town in 1937, population 5400 (2011c), 5106 (2006c). The Town of St Paul, county seat for the County of St Paul, is located on the north shore of Upper Therien Lake, 202 km northeast of Edmonton.

Article

St. Stephen

St. Stephen, New Brunswick, incorporated as a town in 1973, population 4,415 (2016 census), 4,817 (2011 census). The town of St. Stephen is located on the St. Croix River in southwestern New Brunswick. First incorporated as a town in 1871, in 1973 St. Stephen was amalgamated with nearby Milltown (incorporated 1878) to form St. Stephen-Milltown. The incorporated name of St. Stephen has been used since 1975.

Article

Ste-Marie

Ste-Marie, Qué, Town, pop 11 320 (2001c), 10 966 (1996c), 10 513 (1991cA), 9536 (1986c), area 107.20 km2, inc 1855, is located on the Rivière CHAUDIÈRE. Situated on lowlands suitable for agriculture, it was built on part of the seigneury given in 1736 to Thomas-Jacques Taschereau.

Article

Stellarton

Stellarton, Nova Scotia, was incorporated as a town in 1889 and has a population of 4,485 (2011). It borders the East River, approximately 18 km southeast of Pictou.

Article

Stephenville

Stephenville, NL, incorporated as a town in 1952, population 6719 (2011c), 6588 (2006c). The Town of Stephenville is located on the north shore of St George's Bay in southwestern Newfoundland.

Article

Stephenville Crossing

Stephenville Crossing, NL, incorporated as a town in 1958, population 1875 (2011c), 1960 (2006c). The Town of Stephenville Crossing is located at the head of St George's Bay on a low, flat floodplain between STEPHENVILLE and ST GEORGE'S on the west coast of Newfoundland.

Article

Stettler

Stettler, Alta, incorporated as a town in 1906, population 5748 (2011c), 5445 (2006c). The Town of Stettler, the county seat for County of Stettler, is located on the rolling prairie of south-central Alberta 203 km southeast of Edmonton on a creek flowing north to the Battle River.

Article

Stonewall

Stonewall, Manitoba, incorporated as a town in 1908, population 4536 (2011c), 4376 (2006c). The Town of Stonewall is located 24 km northwest of Winnipeg on a limestone outcrop in the southern Interlake.

Article

Stony Plain

Stony Plain, Alta, incorporated as a town in 1908, population 15 051 (2011c), 12 363 (2006c). The Town of Stony Plain is located about 25 km west of EDMONTON. Settlement began in 1881 about 3 km south of the present town. This settlement was called Dogrump Creek but in 1892 was renamed Stony Plain.

Article

Strathmore

Strathmore, Alta, incorporated as a town in 1911, population 12 305 (2011c), 10 280 (2006c). The Town of Strathmore is located 40 km east of CALGARY. Strathmore was named after Charles Bowes-Lyon, 13th earl of Strathmore (1824-1904), a forefather of Queen Elizabeth II.

Article

Strathroy-Caradoc

During its early history Strathroy suffered a number of devastating fires. In 1868 a blaze wiped out a considerable portion of Strathroy's business section. Several fires in manufacturing plants in the late 1890s and an agricultural depression caused a period of economic downturn for the town.

Article

Summerside

Beginning around 1910, the town experienced renewed prosperity as a fur-trading centre, stimulated by Sir Charles Dalton and Robert T. Oulton's successful breeding of silver foxes in captivity. In 1920 Summerside was established as the headquarters of the Canadian National Silver Fox Breeders' Assn.

Article

Sundre

Sundre, Alta, incorporated as a town in 1956, population 2610 (2011c), 2523 (2006c).

Article

Sussex

Sussex, NB, incorporated as a town in 1904, population 4312 (2011c), 4241 (2006c). The Town of Sussex is located in south-central New Brunswick in a rich agricultural area, 73 km from SAINT JOHN on the Kennebecasis River.

Article

Swan Hills

Swan Hills, Alta, incorporated as a town in 1967, population 1465 (2011c), 1645 (2006c). The Town of Swan Hills is located in the Swan Hills, 209 km northwest of Edmonton. The Swan Hills were named by the Cree for legendary giant swans whose thundering wings would fill the air.

Article

Taber

Taber, Alta, incorporated as a town in 1907, population 8104 (2011c), 7591 (2006c). The Town of Taber is located 50 km east of Lethbridge.

Article

Tecumseh (Ont)

First settlement in the area dates from the 1790s, and throughout the 19th century the population was almost exclusively rural. Tecumseh grew first as a stopping place on the road between London and Windsor and then as a railway station.