Browse "Towns"

Displaying 261-280 of 379 results
Article

Placentia

Placentia, NL, incorporated as a town in 1945, population 3643 (2011c), 3898 (2006c). The Town of Placentia is located on PLACENTIA BAY on the west coast of the AVALON PENINSULA.

Article

Plessisville

Plessisville is named after Joseph-Octave Plessis, the eleventh bishop of Québec City. Plessisville was the first municipality developed in the Bois-Francs area. It had a rich, fertile soil ideal for agricultural development.

Article

Ponoka

Ponoka, Alta, incorporated as a town in 1904, population 6773 (2011c), 6576 (2006c). The Town of Ponoka is located approximately 100 km south of Edmonton in rolling, rich parkbelt land. The Methodists established a mission to the Stoney at the nearby Samson Reserve in the late 1870s.

Article

Port Hawkesbury

Some farming and a local forest industry supported the livelihood of the dominant Scottish population. As an early 19th-century ferry terminus and later a railway centre, the town suffered the loss of these activities from the building of the Canso Causeway in the mid-1950s at nearby Port Hastings.

Article

Port McNeill

Port McNeill, BC, incorporated as a town in 1984, population 2505 (2011c), 2623 (2006c). The Town of Port McNeill is located on the northeast coast of VANCOUVER ISLAND on Broughton Strait, 200 km northwest of CAMPBELL RIVER.

Article

Portugal Cove-St Philip's

Portugal Cove-St Philip's, NL, incorporated as a town in 1992, population 7366 (2011c), 6575 (2006c). The Town of Portugal Cove-St Philip's is the result of the amalgamation of three former towns, Portugal Cove, St Philip's and Hogan's Pond, and the lands surrounding the communities.

Article

Pouch Cove

Pouch Cove, NL, incorporated as a town in 1970, population 1866 (2011c), 1756 (2006c). The Town of Pouch Cove is located about 25 km north of ST JOHN'S near Cape St Francis.

Article

Prescott

Prescott, Ont, incorporated as a town in 1834, population 4284 (2011c), 4180 (2006c). The Town of Prescott is located 18 kilometres east of Brockville on the ST LAWRENCE RIVER.

Article

Princeton

Princeton, BC, incorporated as a town in 1978, population 2724 (2011c), 2780 (2006c). The Town of Princeton is located at the junction of the Tulameen and Similkameen rivers, 114 km west of PENTICTON.

Article

Qualicum Beach

Qualicum Beach, BC, incorporated as a town in 1983, population 8687 (2011c), 8502 (2006c). The Town of Qualicum Beach is located on the east coast of VANCOUVER ISLAND, 48 km north of NANAIMO. The name Qualicum is a Straits Salish (see SALISH, CENTRAL COAST) word meaning "where the dog salmon run.

Article

Quispamsis

Quispamsis, NB, incorporated as a town in 1998, population 17 886 (2011c), 15 239 (2006c). The Town of Quispamsis is located 22 km northeast of SAINT JOHN along the Kennebecasis River.

Article

Raymond

Raymond, Alta, incorporated as a town in 1903, population 3743 (2011c), 3225 (2006c). The Town of Raymond is located in southern Alberta, approximately 35 km south of LETHBRIDGE.

Article

Redcliff

Redcliff, Alta, incorporated as a town in 1912, population 5588 (2011c), 5116 (2006c). The Town of Redcliff is located adjacent to MEDICINE HAT and named for the outcroppings of red shale occurring along the banks of the nearby South Saskatchewan River.

Article

Redwater

Redwater, Alberta, incorporated as a town in 1950, population 1915 (2011c), 2202 (2006c). The Town of Redwater is located 55 km northeast of Edmonton. The town takes its name from the Redwater River.

Article

Renfrew

Renfrew, Ontario, incorporated as a town in 1895, population 8,223 (2016 census), 8,218 (2011 census). The town of Renfrew is located on the Bonnechere River, 100 km west of Ottawa.


Article

Richmond Hill

 Richmond Hill's development was closely linked with the development of Yonge Street, which was planned primarily as a military road by John Graves SIMCOE, the first lieutenant-governor of Upper Canada. The first permanent settlers took up land between 1798 and 1802.

Article

Riverview

Riverview, incorporated as a town in 1973, population 19 128 (2011c), 17 832 (2006c). The Town of Riverview is situated on the Petitcodiac River opposite MONCTON.

Article

Roberval

A navigation centre for the lake and an internationally renowned summer resort until the early 20th century, Roberval also had a few sawmills. The Ursulines built their provincial convent here in 1882. A hospital was added in 1918.

Article

Roblin

Roblin, Manitoba, incorporated as a village in 1913 and as a town in 1963, population 1774 (2011c), 1672 (2006c). The Town of Roblin is situated on Goose Lake 400 km northwest of Winnipeg near the Manitoba-Saskatchewan border.