Browse "Towns"

Displaying 181-200 of 379 results
Article

Laurentian Hills

Laurentian Hills, Ont, incorporated as a town in 2000, population 2811 (2011c), 2789 (2006c). The Town of Laurentian Hills is located close to the Ottawa River, about 210 km northwest of Ottawa. The town came into existence with

Article

Leaf Rapids

Leaf Rapids, Manitoba, incorporated as a town in 1974, population 453 (2011c), 539 (2006c). The Town of Leaf Rapids is a mining community located 3 km south of the CHURCHILL RIVER on the Canadian Shield and 976 km northwest of Winnipeg.

Article

Leamington

Leamington, Ont, incorporated as a town in 1890 and as a municipality in 1999, population 28 403 (2011c), 28 833 (2006c). The Municipality of Leamington is located on the north shore of LAKE ERIE, 54 km southeast of WINDSOR.

Article

Leduc

Leduc, Alta, incorporated as a town in 1906 and as a city in 1983, population 24 279 (2011c), 16 967 (2006c). The City of Leduc is located 30 km south of EDMONTON. Originally a telegraph terminus and stop on the Calgary and Edmonton Railway (1891), the community grew as an agricultural centre.

Article

Lennoxville

The Abenaki and the French missionaries often used the site because it was a focal point for canoes and small boats using the tributaries of the Saint-François. A sawmill and forest products plant (lumber and potash) preceded the founding of the first village by LOYALISTS around 1794.

Article

Lewisporte

Lewisporte, NL, incorporated as a town in 1946, population 3483 (2011c), 3308 (2006c). The Town of Lewisporte is a deep-water port and shipping centre in Notre Dame Bay, north-central Newfoundland.

Article

Lincoln

Lincoln, Ont, incorporated as a town in 1970, population 22 487 (2011c), 21 722 (2006c). The Town of Lincoln is situated in the Niagara Peninsula, immediately west of ST CATHARINES.

Article

Listowel

Listowel, ON, incorporated in 1867 as a village and in 1875 as a town, population 7,530 (2016 census), 6,828 (2011 census). Listowel is now part of the town of North Perth (incorporated in 1998). It is located 66 km northwest of Kitchener - Waterloo.

Article

Loretteville

From 1760 to 1904, Indigenous and non-Indigenous people alike were members of the same church congregation, Saint-Ambroise-de-la-Nouvelle-Lorette. In 1904, the Huron-Wendat got their own chapel and church register and a parish municipality and village were simultaneously set up to serve the non-Indigenous population.

Article

Lorraine

Carved out of Bois-des-Filion, SAINTE-THÉRÈSE and ROSEMÈRE, Lorraine was set up as an ecologically sensitive, single-family dwelling, residential community by Anchor Investments Limited.

Article

Lumsden

Lumsden, Sask, incorporated as a town in 1905, population 1631 (2011c), 1523 (2006c). The Town of Lumsden is located 26 km northeast of REGINA, nestled in the rolling terrain of the QU'APPELLE RIVER valley. The first settlers arrived in 1881 and named their community Happy Hollow.

Article

Lunenburg

Lunenburg, NS, incorporated as a town in 1888, population 2313 (2011c), 2317 (2006c). The Town of Lunenburg, the shire town of Lunenburg County, is located on Lunenburg Bay, 90 km southwest of Halifax.

Article

Lynn Lake

Lynn Lake, Manitoba, incorporated as a town in 1997, population 482 (2011c), 714 (2006c). The Town of Lynn Lake is a community located 1066 km by road northwest of Winnipeg on the Canadian SHIELD.

Article

Magog

In 1888 the village of Magog separated from the municipality of Magog Township (established 1855) and soon incorporated as a town.

Article

Mahone Bay

Mahone Bay, NS, incorporated as a town in 1919, population 943 (2011c), 904 (2006c). The Town of Mahone Bay is located on the "Lighthouse Route" of Nova Scotia's southern shore, 10 km northwest of LUNENBURG.

Article

Malartic

Malartic, Qué, Town, pop 3640 (2006c), 3704 (2001c), inc 1939. Malartic is located 70 km east of ROUYN-NORANDA in northwestern Québec. It was established by Québec's Ministry of Mines, which hoped to end the

Article

Manitouwadge

Manitouwadge, Ont, incorporated as a township in 1975, population 2105 (2011c), 2300 (2006c). The Township of Manitouwadge is located in northwestern Ontario 397 km northeast of Thunder Bay.

Article

Maniwaki

The Oblate Fathers founded the mission Notre-Dame du Désert in 1849. Soon after, many settlers moved into the area, drawn by the forest's economic potential. A forest industry was established and provided the livelihood for the residents of the region. In 1851, Maniwaki was declared a parish.