Browse "Districts and municipalities"

Displaying 81-100 of 119 results
Article

Port Hardy

Port Hardy, BC, incorporated as a district municipality in 1966, population 4008 (2011c), 3822 (2006c). The District of Port Hardy is located on the northeast coast of VANCOUVER ISLAND, 391 km by road north of NANAIMO.

Article

Port Hope

Long a manufacturing and regional commercial centre, Port Hope's main street is one of the best preserved from late 19th-century Ontario. It is now a centre for uranium refining and the manufacture of machinery, tools, plastics and rubber.

Article

Queens

Queens, NS, incorporated as a regional municipality in 1996, population 10 917 (2011c), 11 177 (2006c). The Region of Queens Municipality is located approximately 150 km southwest of Halifax.

Article

Rockwood

Rockwood, Manitoba, incorporated as a rural municipality in 1880, population 7964 (2011c), 7692 (2006c). The Rural Municipality of Rockwood is located north of Winnipeg; it includes the communities of Stony Mountain, Grosse Isle, Argyle, Balmoral, Gunton and Komarno.

Article

Russell (Ont)

Despite its proximity to Ottawa, settlement was slow to develop in the area because of a lack of roads and mediocre land which was heavily forested. As late as 1850 there were only 64 permanent residents of the township.

Article

Saanich

Saanich, BC, incorporated as a district municipality in 1906, population 109 752 (2011c), 108 265 (2006c). The District of Saanich is located immediately northwest of the city of VICTORIA, and is an integral part of the Greater Victoria area.

Article

Saint-Benoît-du-Lac

  The community was founded by Dom Paul Vannier in 1912 when he acquired a farm at Point Gibraltar, a peninsula sloping down towards the lake. He and 3 other monks began farming and providing religious services.

Article

Saint-Charles-Borromée

Saint-Charles-Borromée was at one time an agricultural village but is now almost totally residential. It is a suburb of Montréal and Joliette. There is no industrial zone, so economic activity is almost exclusively commercial. The hospital is the largest employer.

Article

Saint-Charles-sur-Richelieu

Like many places in the lower Richelieu region, Saint-Charles experienced a decline in the second half of the 19th century. Towards the end of the century, one of the village's activities was the transportation of oats to New York City for use as feed for tramway horses.

Article

Saint-Denis-sur-Richelieu

During the REBELLIONS OF 1837 it became a centre for the PATRIOTES who fought against and forced the retreat of Colonel Charles Gore's troops. In retaliation, the village was burned (see ST-DENIS, BATTLE OF).

Article

Saint-Honoré

Saint-Honoré, still rural in character, is best known for its flying school, Centre québécois deformation aéronautique of the CÉGEP de Chicoutimi, and for Niobec Inc, one of the world's main producers of COLUMBIUM, a mineral used in the manufacture of steel alloys.

Article

Saint-Nicéphore

The municipality has its origins from 2 lumber communities which developed in the early 1800s, Wheatland and Watkins Mill. In 1873, Tourville Lumber Mills arrived in the area and began purchasing land for trees it shipped to its sawmill in Pierreville, downstream on the Rivère Saint-François.

Article

Saint-Pierre

In 1611, Samuel de CHAMPLAIN first made a reference to a small river that would later be named Rivière Saint-Pierre. A small community developed and this waterway made possible the construction of a large number of flour mills and sawmills.

Article

Sechelt

Sechelt, BC, incorporated as a district municipality in 1986, population 9291 (2011c), 8454 (2006c). The District of Sechelt is located on the Sunshine Coast of British Columbia north of Vancouver on the Strait of GEORGIA. The community is named for the Sechelt who inhabit the area.

Article

Sechelt Peninsula

The Sechelt Peninsula, approximately 350 km2, is part of a popular cottage area and yachting centre in British Columbia known as the "Sunshine Coast." Isolated from nearby Vancouver, BC, by Howe Sound and the Coast Mountains, its coast is linked by ferries with Vancouver via Horseshoe Bay and with Powell River via Saltery Bay.

Article

Sherbrooke

Sherbrooke, Quebec, incorporated as a city in 1852, population 161,323 (2016 census), 154, 601 (2011 census). Located 147 km east of Montreal, Sherbrooke is the principal city of the Eastern Townships. Situated in the heart of a region of lakes and mountains near Mont-Orford provincial park, it was for many years a commercial, industrial and railway centre. During the 1960s it also became a service centre. Sherbrooke is home to the region’s Catholic archdiocese and headquarters of the judicial district of Saint-François.

Article

Sicamous

Sicamous, BC, incorporated as a district municipality in 1989, population 2441 (2011c), 2676 (2006c). The District of Sicamous is located at the eastern end of Shuswap Lake in south-central British Columbia, 140 km east of KAMLOOPS.

Article

Simcoe

The town of Simcoe, including the nearby hamlet of Hillcrest, was one of 6 area municipalities formed as part of the Regional Municipality of Haldimand-Norfolk in 1974.

Article

Spallumcheen

Spallumcheen, BC, incorporated as a district municipality in 1892, population 5055 (2011c), 4960 (2006c). The Township of Spallumcheen is located about seven kilometres north of VERNON and completely encloses the city of ARMSTRONG.

Article

Sparwood

Sparwood, BC, incorporated as a district municipality in 1966, population 3667 (2011c), 3618 (2006c). The District of Sparwood is located 32 km northeast of FERNIE in the Elk River Valley.