Browse "Cities"

Displaying 161-180 of 217 results
Article

Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu

Saint-Jean originated as one of a series of forts along the Richelieu during the French regime. After the AMERICAN REVOLUTION, numerous LOYALISTS joined the local families. Through the 19th century, Saint-Jean became increasingly French Canadian and Catholic.

Article

Saint-Jérôme

A regional metropolis situated where Rivière du Nord leaves the Laurentians, Saint-Jérôme dominates the entire Lower Laurentians. The bishopric, courthouse and CEGEP give the town an administrative function as well as industrial and commercial ones.

Article

Saint-Lambert

Saint-Lambert, Qué, City, pop 21 599 (2006c), 21 051 (2001c), first incorporated in 1921 and reincorporated in 2006. Saint-Lambert was amalgamated into the city of Longueuil from 2002-2006 when it then regained municipal status. It is located along the South Shore of the St Lawrence River across from Montréal, and is connected to that city by the Victoria bridge (completed 1859).

Article

Saint-Luc

Saint-Luc was named by association with the neighbouring parishes of St-Martin and St-Marc. In 1963 it incorporated as the city of Saint-Luc with a population of 3218. Eel fishing was one of the mainstays of the economy. This industry remains part of present-day Saint-Luc.

Article

Saint-Nicolas

The old parish of Saint-Nicolas, settled in the last quarter of the 17th century and founded in 1694, takes its name from an old Normandy parish, Saint-Nicolas-de-la-Ferté. Saint-Nicolas, which had a population of 700 at the end of the 18th century, was set up as a parish municipality in 1855.

Article

Saint-Romuald

Saint-Romuald was first settled in 1651 as a fishing establishment by a Québec merchant, Eustache Lambert. But it was agriculture which became the mainstay of economic life until the middle of the 19th century when Saint-Romuald became a sawmilling town.

Article

Sainte-Catherine

Sainte-Catherine was the original site of the Jesuit Iroquois mission founded in 1676 and later moved to Caughnawaga (now Kahnawake). The name Sainte-Catherine was quite probably chosen in honour of Kateri (Catherine) TEKAKWITHA. Her empty tomb is located across from the Roman Catholic church.

Article

Sainte-Thérèse

In 1714, Gaspard Piot de Langloiserie and his spouse, Marie-Thérèse du Gué, received the seigneury of Mille-Iles. In 1735 colonization occurred mainly through the efforts of the widow Marie-Thérèse du Gué and continued through her descendants.

Article

Salaberry-de-Valleyfield

Salaberry-de-Valleyfield draws its labour force from the local population and its history is marked by often violent labour disputes (see COMPANY TOWNS). Originally (1874) it was called Salaberry, in honour of Charles d'Irumberry de SALABERRY.

Article

Salmon Arm

Salmon Arm, BC, incorporated as a city in 2005, population 17 464 (2011c), 16 012 (2006c). The City of Salmon Arm is located at the head of the southwestern arm of Shuswap Lake, also called Salmon Arm, 110 km east of KAMLOOPS.

Article

Sarnia

Sarnia, Ontario, incorporated as a city in 1914, population 71,594 (2016 c), 72,366 (2011 c). The City of Sarnia is located at the convergence of the St. Clair River and Lake Huron, 100 km west of London. A railway tunnel beneath the St. Clair and a highway bridge from nearby Point Edward connect Sarnia with Port Huron, Michigan. Sarnia is a major centre for the petrochemical industry and the southern terminus of an oil pipeline from Alberta. It was also the home of Alexander Mackenzie, first Liberal prime minister of Canada.

Article

Saskatoon

The 2 Gowen sites show that hunting tribes were here 6000 years ago. Stratified settlement sites at Tipperary Creek (now Wanuskewin) indicate regular winter habitation by Indigenous peoples.

Article

Sept-Îles

The first permanent European settlement dates from 1651: the Ange-Gardien mission founded by Father Jean de Quen. A trading and fishing post set up there in 1676 by Louis Jolliet was ceded in the 19th century to the Hudson's Bay Company.

Article

Shawinigan

After 1825 the government of Lower Canada had the territory of the Mauricie region surveyed. The first concessions were given out in 1831. Shawinigan was first the site of a waterslide (1852) built so that log booms could be sent downstream to Trois-Rivières.

Article

Spruce Grove

Spruce Grove, Alta, incorporated as a city in 1986, population 26 171 (2011c), 19 541 (2006c). The City of Spruce Grove is located just west of Edmonton and is the eastern neighbour of the town STONY PLAIN. French and Scottish settlers arrived in 1891.

Article

St Albert

St Albert, Alta, incorporated as a city in 1977, population 61 466 (2011c), 57 764 (2006c). The City of St Albert is located along the northwestern city boundary of EDMONTON.

Article

St Thomas

  St Thomas, Ont, incorporated as a city in 1881, seat of Elgin County, population 37 905 (2011c), 36 110 (2006c). The City of St Thomas is located in southwestern Ontario, 29 km south of London. In 1803 Thomas TALBOT began to place settlers on a large tract of land he owned N of Lake Erie.

Article

St. Catharines

St. Catharines, ON, incorporated as a city in 1876, population 133,113 (2016 c), 131,400 (2011 c). The City of St. Catharines is the principal city of the Niagara Region. It lies south of Toronto across Lake Ontario (111 km by the Queen Elizabeth Way), 19 km inland from the international boundary with the United States, along the Niagara River. The city is named after Catharine Hamilton, wife of Robert Hamilton, an influential merchant of Queenston and a landowner with mills on Twelve Mile Creek; the growing community, then known as The Twelve or Shipman's Corners, was renamed in her honour after her death in 1796. After 1876, as the urban area of St. Catharines expanded, it was permitted to annex parts of the surrounding Grantham Township, culminating in 1961 in the complete amalgamation of the township as well as the adjacent towns of Merritton and Port Dalhousie. In 1970, the rural township of Louth to the west was split between St. Catharines and the new town of Lincoln.