Browse "Cities"

Displaying 141-160 of 217 results
Article

Québec City

Québec City, Québec, founded in 1608, population 531,902 (2016 c), 516,576 (2011 c). Québec City, the capital of the province of Québec, is located on the north shore of the St. Lawrence River where it meets the Rivière Saint-Charles. Here, the St. Lawrence narrows to a width of just over 1 km, and navigation is made difficult by a group of islands, the largest of which is Île d'Orléans. Cap-Diamant, a promontory with an elevation of 98 m, dominates the site and was used effectively as a fortification, earning Québec City the name "Gibraltar of North America." The name "Québec" is probably derived from an Algonquian word meaning "narrowing of the river."

Article

Quesnel

Quesnel, BC, incorporated as a city in 1928, population 10 007 (2011c), 9326 (2006c). The City of Quesnel is located at the junction of the Quesnel and Fraser rivers in central British Columbia, 625 km northeast of Vancouver.

Article

Quinte West

Long occupied by Indigenous peoples, at the time of first European contact, the Mississauga (Ojibwa) occupied the region.

Article

Red Deer

Red Deer, Alta, incorporated as a city in 1913, population 90 564 (2011c), 83 154 (2006c). The City of Red Deer is located on the RED DEER RIVER, 150 km south of Edmonton.

Article

Regina

Regina, Saskatchewan, founded in 1882, incorporated as a city in 1903, population 215,106 (2016 c), 193,100 (2011 c). The City of Regina is the capital, commercial and financial centre of Saskatchewan. Regina is situated 160 km north of the United States border. The city is set in a wide, level alluvial plain. It was named for Queen Victoria, mother-in-law of the Marquess of Lorne, governor general at the time of the city’s founding.

Article

Repentigny

Repentigny dates back to 1647 when Pierre Legardeur de Repentigny was granted a seigneury, but settlement did not occur until after 1670 when his son Jean-Baptiste was given the seigneury.

Article

Revelstoke

Revelstoke, BC, incorporated as a city in 1899, population 7139 (2011c), 7230 (2006c). The City of Revelstoke is situated on the Columbia River between the Selkirk and Monashee mountains, on the Trans-Canada Highway at the western entrance to Rogers Pass and Mount Revelstoke and glacier national parks.

Article

Richmond

Richmond, BC, incorporated as a city in 1990, population 190 473 (2011c), 174 461 (2006c). The City of Richmond is located adjacent to and south of VANCOUVER and west of NEW WESTMINSTER.

Article

Rimouski

In the 18th century, agriculture and seasonal fishing were the only occupations, but the area experienced some growth when Québec City merchants, including William Price, began to develop the forest resources and built several sawmills.

Article

Rosemère

In 1880, Rosemère was primarily an agricultural community. The beauty of the Laurentides region was later discovered and Rosemère established itself as a holiday destination.

Article

Rossland

Rossland, BC, incorporated as a city in 1897, population 3556 (2011c), 3278 (2006c). The City of Rossland is located 10 km southwest of TRAIL in the eroded crater of a long-extinct volcano of the MONASHEE MOUNTAINS.

Article

Rouyn-Noranda

For many years, Noranda was completely controlled and administered by Noranda Mines, formed in 1922 to exploit one of the richest copper and gold deposits ever found in Canada. The name "Noranda" is a combination of the words "North" and "Canada.

Article

Saint John

Saint John, NB, incorporated as a city in 1785, population 67,575 (2016 census), 70,063 (2011 census). The City of Saint John, the second largest city in New Brunswick, is located at the mouth of the Saint John River on the Bay of Fundy.

Article

Saint-Augustin-de-Desmaures

The area was first settled in 1658, more than 20 years before the creation of the parish of Saint-Augustin-de-Desmaures. The name Saint-Augustin was supposedly given to the parish in honour of the governor of New France from 1663-1665, Augustin de Saffray de MÉZY.

Article

Saint-Bruno-de-Montarville

The seigneury of Montarville was originally granted to Pierre Boucher de Boucherville Junior in 1710. The Boucherville family combined the last 6 letters of their name to the first 2 syllables of the French word for mountain (montagne).

Article

Saint-Constant

The early settlement of Saint-Constant dates back to the mid-18th century, even though the parish of Saint-Constant-de-la-Prairie-de-la-Magdeleine was only officially created in 1841.

Article

Saint-Félicien

The town profited from the Chibougamau-Chapais mining boom of the 1950s, since nearly all the copper extracted from Chibougamau and Chapais (280 km northwest of Lac Saint-Jean) left the region via Saint-Félicien.

Article

Saint-Georges

The first colonists came during the French regime to settle on seigneuries ceded to Thérèse Aubert de Lalande Gayon (Aubert-Gallion) and Gabriel Aubin de L'Isle (Aubin-de-l'Isle).