Browse "Cities"

Displaying 121-140 of 217 results
Article

Ottawa

Ottawa, Ontario, incorporated as a city in 1855, population 934,243 (2016 c), 883,391 (2011 c). The City of Ottawa is the capital of Canada and is located on the Ottawa River on Ontario's eastern boundary with Québec, about 200 km west of Montréal. The name "Ottawa" is thought to derive from an Algonquian-speaking First Nation of the same name, probably from a word meaning "to trade" (see Odawa). Amalgamation, on 1 January 2001, merged "old" Ottawa with 11 area municipalities and the Regional Municipality of Ottawa-Carleton to create a “new” city. The amalgamated city encompasses the municipalities of Ottawa, Vanier, Nepean, Kanata, Gloucester and Cumberland; the townships of Rideau, West Carleton, Goulbourn and Osgoode; and the village of Rockcliffe Park.

Article

Owen Sound

Owen Sound, Ont, incorporated as a city in 1920, population 21 688 (2011c), 21 753 (2006c). The City of Owen Sound is located on an inlet at the south end of GEORGIAN BAY, at the outlet of the Sydenham and Pottawatomi rivers, 190 km northwest of Toronto.

Article

Parksville

Parksville, BC, incorporated as a city in 1986, population 11 977 (2011c), 10 993 (2006c). The City of Parksville is located on the east coast of VANCOUVER ISLAND, 35 km northwest of NANAIMO.

Article

Pembroke

Long associated with the lumber trade, the city currently produces wood and paper products in addition to other light manufacturing. The seat of Renfrew County, it is also the commercial and service centre of the region.

Article

Penticton

Penticton, BC, incorporated as a city in 1948, population 32 877 (2011c), 31 909 (2006c). The City of Penticton is nestledbetween Okanagan and Skaha lakes in south-central British Columbia.

Article

Peterborough

Founded in 1825, Peterborough was named the following year for Peterborough, New Hampshire, and intended as a compliment for Peter ROBINSON, who directed the settlement of a large number of Irish immigrants in the area.

Article

Pickering

Records indicate there were about 800 people living in the Township of Pickering in 1825. The area was heavily wooded and there were 3 sawmills and some shipbuilding at the mouth of the Rouge River.

Article

Pincourt

The name Pincourt goes back to the days of the fur traders and voyageurs who, on seeing the pine forest which at that time covered most of the western half of the island, described the trees as being rather short and dwarf-like in stature. They called the place Pins courts, that is, "short pines.

Article

Pitt Meadows

Pitt Meadows, BC, incorporated as a city in 2007, population 17 736 (2011c), 15 623 (2006c). The City of Pitt Meadows is an agricultural community located in the lower Fraser Valley east of VANCOUVER on the north side of the FRASER RIVER at its junction with the Pitt River.

Article

Pointe-Claire

Pointe-Claire was first set up as a village municipality under the name of Saint-Joachim-de-la-Pointe-Claire in 1854. Its name was shortened when it was incorporated.

Article

Port Alberni

​Port Alberni, BC, incorporated as a city in 1967, population 17,678 (2016 c), 17,743 (2011 c). The present-day City of Port Alberni is the result of the 1967 amalgamation of two cities, Port Alberni (incorporated in 1912) and Alberni (incorporated in 1913). Port Alberni is located on central Vancouver Island, 195 km north of Victoria, at the head of Alberni Inlet, a deep fjord-like inlet that almost divides the island in two. The inlet was named after Don Pedro de Alberni, the Spanish officer in command of the Nootka garrison in 1791 during the Spanish occupation. In 1964, a tsunami caused by the Good Friday earthquake in Alaska moved up the inlet and hit the twin cities. About 375 houses were damaged, 55 of which were washed away, but there were no casualties.

Article

Port au Choix

Port au Choix, NL, incorporated as a town in 1966, population 839 (2011c), 893 (2006c). The Town of Port au Choix is located on the west side of the Northern Peninsula.

Article

Port Colborne

Industries associated with the canal have included the servicing of vessels, flour milling, repair and breakup of vessels, lake fishing and limestone quarrying. The city also has an important nickel refinery. The surrounding industrial areas occupy land reclaimed from the lake bed.

Article

Port Coquitlam

Port Coquitlam, BC, incorporated as a city in 1913, population 56 342 (2011c), 52 687 (2006c). The City of Port Coquitlam is located on the Pitt and Fraser rivers, 27 km east of VANCOUVER, of which it is a satellite. It is bounded on the north and west by the City of COQUITLAM.

Article

Port Moody

Port Moody, BC, incorporated as a city in 1913, population 32 975 (2011c), 27 512 (2006c). The City of Port Moody lies at the head of Burrard Inlet, 20 km east of Vancouver. Port Moody's foreshore contains abundant evidence of pre-European occupation by the CENTRAL COAST SALISH peoples.

Article

Portage la Prairie

Portage la Prairie, MB, incorporated as a city in 1907, population 13,304 (2016 census), 12,996 (2011 census). The city of Portage la Prairie, located 70 km west of Winnipeg, is an important regional service centre for the flat but highly fertile soils of the surrounding Portage Plains. 

Article

Powell River

Powell River, BC, incorporated as a city in 2005, population 13 165 (2011c), 12 957 (2006c). The City of Powell River is located on the east side of the Strait of GEORGIA, 133 km northwest of Vancouver.

Article

Prince Albert

Prince Albert, SK, incorporated as a city in 1904, population 35,926 (2016 census), 35,129 (2011 census). The City of Prince Albert is located on the south shore of the North Saskatchewan River near the geographical centre of the province. As Saskatchewan's "Gateway to the North," open prairie lies to the south of the city and lakes and forests to the north. Prince Albert is Saskatchewan's third largest city.

Article

Prince George

Prince George, BC, incorporated as a city in 1915, population 71 974 (2011c), 70 981 (2006c). The City of Prince George is the largest population centre in the northern part of the province.

Article

Prince Rupert

Prince Rupert, BC, incorporated as a city in 1910, population 12,220 (2016 census), 12,508 (2011 census). The City of Prince Rupert is located on Kaien Island, at the mouth of the Skeena River in the Coast Mountains of British Columbia. It is Canada's wettest city, with an average of 2,619 mm of precipitation falling each year. Prince Rupert marks western end of the Yellowhead Trans-Canada Highway and, as Canada's deepest ice-free seaport, a link between the lower United States, Vancouver and Alaska. For these reasons it is the industrial, commercial and institutional centre for BC's Northwest Coast.