Lethbridge Music Club
Lethbridge Music Club. Founded 26 Sep 1932 as the Lethbridge Women's Musical Club by Kate Bryce Marquis Nelson (b 1880, d 1959, a piano pupil of Frank Welsman in Toronto and Isidor Philipp in Paris), who taught and performed in Lethbridge after 1907. The club was inactive during World War II but was revived in 1951 by Margaret Nelson, daughter-in-law of the founder, (a Lethbridge-born piano teacher, organist, and choirmaster). It was renamed the Lethbridge Music Club in 1958 and in the same year it established two scholarships for Kiwanis Music Festival winners.
During its first years the club offered annually, at the Capitol Theatre, six concerts, including a 'young artist' recital (in conjunction with the ARMTA and the CFMTA) and a concert by Kiwanis scholarship winners and top examination students. In the early 1970s, the annual number of concerts was reduced, and the club disbanded in 1974.
Maureen Forrester, Carlina Carr, Constance Channon Douglas, Bernard Turgeon, the Hart House Orchestra under Boyd Neel, and Murray Adaskin and Frances James were among the established artists that the club presented.